Monday, December 3, 2007

Weekend Getaway: Muscat, Oman






The Jewel of the Gulf is the best description that I can think of to describe Oman. From its warm and hospitable people, to its lovely warm turquoise beaches, and varied landscape, Oman lives up to its name.


Upon entering the city of Muscat, I was impressed by the gorgeous landscaping, and overall cleanliness of the city. The abundance of flowers, green grass, and palm trees (remember, this is the desert) contrasted with the white Arabic styled buildings, reminded me a little bit of Santorini, Greece.



Wanting to make contact and get to know the locals, I used every opportunity to chat up strangers. In doing so, I was able to obtain a little bit of insight into the day-to-day life of the Omani people. During a city tour, my tour guide took Mary and I down to the local fish market where we had the opportunity to meet his dad, who was a fisherman.


We spent about an hour chatting, drinking tea, and listening to wild and hair raising fishing tales that my tour guide's father experienced during his many fishing excursions over the years.

I was especially pleased to see that many of the Omani people looked very much like African Americans. Warm, and friendly, their warm smiles made me welcome as I approched them and asked questions about life in Oman. Although it was only a short weekend getaway, it was enough to temporarily satisfy my insatiable appetite for travel until my next travel fix.


Next adventure: Thailand - the land of smiles...


No comments: