Saturday, May 24, 2008

Forget the mall...let's go to the souk!

Note: photos for this post are incomplete and will be added on an ongoing basis...
When it comes to shopping in the middle east, I prefer to visit the local Souks, or markets that are known for selling traditional items at a fraction of the cost that you would purchase them for at a mall. Also, the cultural experience of shopping in a Souk - which is full of the sights, sounds, and smells of the host country's way of life, far surpasses walking past tons of the same old stores and shops that I can see in just about any mall in the U.S. There are tons of malls in L.A. with the same designer clothes with the same inflated price tags. Rather than buying an outfit that I can get at home, I prefer something unique and special from the region that I live.

Therefore, I am always on the lookout for some reasonably priced unique, exotic, and beautiful item that I can decorate my condo with when I return to Southern California. Browsing through the Souks in Egypt, I came across a beautifully handmade, mother of pearl, backgammon/chess game that I bargained for and purchased for about $25 dollars.



When I go back home, I want people to know that I've lived abroad. I want to be the topic of conversation amongst passersby when I walk down the street wearing my middle eastern clothes, and Egyptian cartouche - with my name written in gold hieroglypics. I want people to notice the smell of my Nefertiti perfume and say, "That perfume you're wearing smells wonderful! What's the name, and where did you buy it?




To be continued....

2 comments:

BlackGirl said...

Hey travel diva! I'm with you about going local as much as possible and having your abode reflect your travels. Prague probably doesn't match Egypt in terms of curios but I'm leaning towards getting antiques and vintage furniture.

Travel Diva said...

Way to go blackgirl! Are you planning on posting some pics of the items that you purchase? Would love to see them!