Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

As the school year comes to a close, I find myself looking forward to returning to the U.S. for the summer. Going home will be good for my soul. After two months in the states, I hope to feel refreshed, renewed, and ready to return to the Emirates for one final year before moving back home permanently to start a new career working with visually impaired and blind children.

Although I still have one more year to go before I complete my contractual obligation, surprisingly, I find myself having mixed feelings about returning home for good . While I truly believe that my new profession will be personally rewarding - much more so than the job I'm currently doing - after living rent, utilities, and tax free for the last 19 months, I admit that have become spoiled. Returning home means that I will have to buy a car, pay rent/mortgage, utilities, and taxes. Not only will my disposable income will be significantly reduced once all my expenses are paid, my ability to save money will be significantly reduced as well....as will my ability to travel.

In spite of some of the restrictions that come with living in an a society where Islam is the dominant religion, the middle east (aside from Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine/Israel) is a very safe place to work and earn some decent money. Case in point: Last year, while traveling through Jordan, I met a woman who had been teaching in Oman for two years. At the end of her contract, she confided to me that she was returning to the U.S. with $50,000 in savings. Her only regret was that she didn't save up more. Last year, during an interview for a teaching job (which I didn't get), the principal told me that some of the teachers at his school had managed to save up to $100,000. The principal of my school is using her earnings to pay of the mortgages on two homes - one in her native New Zealand, and the other in Thailand. Other colleagues say that they are using their salaries to pay off their mortgages or credit card debts....

Dollar signs flash across my eyes in threes when I calculate the amount of money that I could save up if I continued to work in this part of the world for a few more years. Yet, in my heart, I know that I would not be 100% happy if I stayed longer that I should.
Besides, no matter how much money I managed to save, it would never be enough. Life is about making choices and being able to adapt and change. The quality of one's life is dependent upon making wise choices that will result in optimal happiness.

Here's to the pursuit of happiness...




4 comments:

Rhona said...

I hope you are enjoying your holiday at home. It is always nice to reconnect with family and friends.
I was wondering, where did you study to get accredited for overseas? I am in the midst of gathering information as I would like to complete this next year and hopefully depart Canada for 1 year (min) in 2010. Any information you can relate to me would be beneficial.

Travel Diva said...

Hi Rhonalala,


I obtained my elementary teaching credential from the State of California. Having a **Western** teaching credential from any reputable university opens doors to teach pretty much anywhere in the world while earning a decent wage.

The other option is to obtain a TEFL or TESOL certificate. This type of certificate enables you to teach English internationally. Unlike a teaching credential, you are limited to teaching at lower paying language schools. Since it only takes about four weeks to obtain certification, there is a lot of competion for jobs as well.

Good luck with your studies and keep me posted!

Rhona said...

Thank you for the tips. I have a university degree-from University of Ottawa. I think I will look into the university or college degrees before anything else. I have some literature from TEFL but I want a higher wage :). Seriously. Thank you so much for the advise. I will for sure keep you posted. I just have so many balls in the air right now but I want to continue growing and learning and traveling.
So, when are you returning? Do you have any exciting plans for the summer months at home or away?

Travel Diva said...

You are most welcome. Good on you for wanting to continue learning and growing...you will become a well rounded and knowledgeable person as a result.

Right now, I am attending summer school at a university in Michigan. When I'm done, I am planning on returning to L.A. to visit family and friends before returning to the Emirates in the fall.