Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Show me the way to Kalamazoo

June 19th, 11:30 p.m...
Sixteen hours is a pretty long time to be cooped up on a plane - especially if you hate flying. With that said, it was pretty cool to fly over the Persian Gulf. Looking down from the plane I could see clusters of brightly lit islands scattered across sea; it was dusk and the view was stunning.

Reaching the North American continent early the next morning, my neighbor - who was sitting next to the window - opened the shade and we were both momentarily blinded by the reflection of the bright rays of the early morning sun reflecting off of a massive expanse of snow below. Recollecting the numerous Social Studies lessons that I'd taught my little students over the years, I immediately identified the enormous land mass below as Greenland. My seatmate originally thought that it was the Arctic, but after verifying our location on our t.v. in flight route map, I knew that I was correct. 'How cool!' I thought to myself 'We're flying over Greenland!'

Approximately eight time zones later....

After flying fourteen hours from Dubai to Atlanta, I breathed a sigh of relief and said a short prayer thanking god as the plane gently touched down on the runway at Wayne County airport in Detroit, Michigan at 11:05 Friday morning.

As we began our descent, one of the passengers, vocalizing what I'd been thinking after living in the desert and looking out of the window at the lush foilage below, yelled, "Green! Green!"

And the journey continues...

Although the major part of my trip was behind me, I still had to get from Detroit to Kalamazoo. This entailed hiring a private taxi to take me to the Amtrak train station forty-five minutes away in Dearborn. Exhausted and in desperate need of a hot shower and a warm bed, I had to wait six looong hours before the next train arrived. I passed the time flirting with one of the Amtrak clerks; and after making him promise to watch my luggage and my laptop, I ventured down the street to the library.

June 20th, 9:30 p.m.,

The train finally pulls into downtown Kalamazoo. We were supposed to arrive at 9 p.m., but earlier that evening, the train came to an abrupt stop, momentarily, after allegedly hitting a deer that had made the grave mistake of crossing over the tracks. The clerk holding the key to my dorm room had long since gone home, and I had no way to get into my room for the night. Not wanting to spend the weekend sleeping on a park bench, I had the foresight to book a cheap room at the local Motel 6...they do leave the light on for you.

June 20th, 10:30 p.m.

Jet lagged and exhausted, I took a nice, hot shower, climbed into bed and feel into a deep, dreamless, and blissful sleep.

13 comments:

Rhona said...

Glad you made it safely. I hope you are refreshed and ready for summer school and then the rest of your summer. I hope you keep writing about your adventures during the summer.
I have contacted some people here in Toronto about becoming certified and I am only waiting for basic feedback. At this point, I will be starting my tesl/tefl courses in September and will work at it slowly. As I bought a house with my sister, I am obligated to her for a max of 2 years. In that time, I plan on finishing the certicate, getting certified and start volunteer teaching. By the time we part seperate ways, I will be ready to move to my new destination. Thank you for the advise. I will really interested in U.A.E. and Japan.

Travel Diva said...

Hi Rhonalala,

Thanks. I still have a couple of older blogs that I am working on and need to post: Egypt and my trip to Hatta in the Emirates. I hate writing and have allowed myself to fall a bit behind. Yes, I will continue to post about my summer adventures. Sounds like you have a good plan. When you are ready to look for jobs, check out this website:

http://jobs.tes.co.uk/Jobs.aspx?regionId=4228.


Best of luck and keep me posted :-)

Rhona said...

Thank you so much for the link.

Travel Diva said...

You're welcome :)

Rhona said...

How are you doing? How is the class going? Hope to see an update from you soon. Take care.

Travel Diva said...

Hi,

I'm doing okay...just busy with school. I'm planning on getting caught up with my blogging this weekend. Thanks for thinking of me :)

Rhona said...

Looking forward to new posts. I have a few to do also. Sometimes I am just too tired or lazy to blog.

In any case, I got accepted to a really good school here in the greater Toronto area for tesl. I am super excited. I start in Sept and it ends in April-part time. This is such a huge step for me but I am very excited to do it. I feel that with this step, I can fulfill some dreams-see the world and make money. I win!

Travel Diva said...

Hey Rhonalala,

Congrats on being accepted into the TESL school!! You are now one step closer towards making your dream of living and working abroad a reality. Keep your eye on the prize, and DO NOT allow yourself to be sidetracked. Way to go!

Rhona said...

Thank you so much! I am excited to start schooling and get going with my traveling plans. I will keep you updated on my progress. I have created a new blog where I will be tracking my schol experience. You can read about it here: http://blakchikteachingherwayaroundtheworld.blogspot.com/

I would love to keep in touch with you as I feel I can look up to you. You are my traveling mentor.

Travel Diva said...

Hey rhonalala!

Checked out the new blog!! Very nice! I am flattered that you would think of me as a mentor. Yes, it would be great to keep in touch!

Word to the wise regarding the TEFL option: The salaries tend to be low as there are many TEFL teachers competing for the same jobs. I did it for the first 6 months that I lived in Praha, and struggled financially. I started making decent money when I used my California primary school teaching credential and started teaching small children the 3 Rs. As an elementary/primary school teacher, you also get about 15 paid holidays per year. TEFL teachers do not.

The jobs that pay the most money are the ones that require either elementary or secondary teaching credentials. The link for jobs that I sent you previously is NOT for TEFL teachers; it is for primary and secondary school teachers. Therefore, if it is something that interests you, I would *strongly* recommend obtaining a Canadian teaching credential in either elementary or secondary education, rather than a Master's in TEFL.

Check out: http://www.daveseslcafe.com for info regarding TEFL job opportunities in different countries. Make sure to read the comments of the posters and feel free to post comments yourself.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Rhona said...

Thanks for the advise.I will research more as I dont want to limit my options and my traveling experiences. I also dont want to waste $ on something that wont pay off in the long run.
I am a bit worried now.

Travel Diva said...

Hi rhonalala,

It is not my intent to discourage you....just wanted to present the facts so that you could weigh all of the options and make choices that will enable you to maximize fulfillment of your particular goals. My email address is: sunshyngurl2001@gmail.com if you would like to contact me privately.

I finished my finals yesterday and will be taking the train back to L.A. tomorrow. Will use that time to get caught up on my blog.

Ciao for now

Rhona said...

I cant wait to read your new posts! So excited to read about your new adventures.
I sent you a few emails so I am hoping we can chat soon.
Take care and enjoy your holiday.