Friday, October 5, 2007

Finally, A Blog Is Born!





Well....after living and working abroad for over two years, I have finally taken the time to sit down and actually set up a blog of my overseas adventures....better late than never! Prior to moving to the Emirates, I lived and worked in Prague, Czech Republic for 15 months. I left that cold, grey and stunningly beautiful historic city in favor of the hot, dry westernized city of Dubai, United Arab Emirates almost one year ago. My, how time does fly!


I am happy to report that almost one year later, I am still enjoying my job teaching 2nd graders at an American International School, as well as the perks: a tax free salary, free housing, and utilities. Surprisingly enough, I had initially been terrified of coming to the middle east to live and work. Frightening images of terrorists with bombs strapped to their waists screaming "jihad against the infidels!" reigned supreme in my head. Yes, these types of extremists are alive and well in this part of the world. Fortunately, I have never had the misfortune of meeting any of them. Instead, I have been received by the arabic people - in general - with warmth, kindness, and friendliness.


My first impression upon arriving at the Dubai International Airport was that the people looked like members of the United Nations. There were hundreds of Africans (from various parts of Africa), Indians, Pakistanis, and Filipinos wearing a myriad of rainbow colored traditional clothing....it was a feast for the eyes to behold!! Most impressive, however, were the disdashas (long white gowns worn by the Arab men) and the burkas (long black dresses worn by the Arab women). The men - in my opinion - looked stunningly handsome; whereas the women, due to the fact that you could only see their eyes peeking out from underneath their veils, looked frightening to eyes that were not used to witnessing such exotic attire. Fast forward one year later.......as I walk through the malls, go grocery shopping, travel around the city, and head off to work each day, I am no longer intimidated by the women in black. In fact, I even purchased my very own burka and have worn it to an Iftar (a feast that is eaten daily when the sun goes down after fasting all day during the month of Ramadan) just last week.


As I type this post, I am reminded of the one thing that I still have not become accustomed to after living here for a year........the call to prayer!!! Five times a day the caller beckons and beseeches (in a high pitched and screeching voice that rattles the nerves) faithful muslims to enter the mosques and pray. Now don't get me wrong, I'm about as tolerant as they come - until you interrupt my good night's sleep! Since the mosque is located directly behind my apartment building, and has LOUDSPEAKERS right next to my bedroom window, I am awakened from a deep and glorious slumber at 5:00 a.m. daily.....#%*@!!!!! If you want to know the truth, I think this guy adds a little extra umpfh in the mornings because he can't sleep and doesn't want anyone else to either!!!! Thank goodness for earplugs!!!!! Even though they don't block out the sound completely, they do a great job of muffling it....combine that with a glass of red wine before bedtime, and I've had mornings where I was knocked out so cold, the locals could've declared a holy jihad and I wouldn't have been none the wiser.


Until next time......

No comments: