Sunday, October 21, 2007

Jordan: A Journey Back In Time...Part 2





My apprehension quickly turned from relief to curiosity when I realized that I was about to be given a private tour of various rooms within the castle that I would not have found on my own. This unofficial Bedouin docent, proud of the castle and its history, turned out to be both sweet and harmless. "Look in here! " he exclaimed. "This is the wine cellar." On and on we ventured from room to room. "Careful. Watch your step." He cautioned as we arrived at a hole in the ground that had been covered with protective metal bars. He informed me that it had once been used as a well. Swatting down over it, he motioned for me to join him. "Here. Throw this down inside of the well." He instructed as he handed me a stone. I took the stone and threw it in. Noticing how it bounced lightly off one side of the stone wall. "Did you see the snake?" He asked. "Noooooooo! What snake?!?!"" I yelled, jumping up and away from the well as quickly as I could. "No! No! No!" he replied. "It's not a real snake, it's a fossil. Look! There it is. See???" Peering down into the well, sure enough, along the side where my stone had originally bounced off, I saw what appeared to be a fossilized shape of a snake. "Oh my! Yes, I see it now!!" I squealed excitedly. I was enjoying myself so much that I had become oblivious to the fact that my friends - who had left a while ago - were probably wondering what on earth had happened to me. I slowly realized that I was holding up my companions; so I reluctantly thanked my wonderful guide, and told him that I had to get going. He led me back to the entrance, and bid me farewell.





Next stop: Petra. What a sight to behold!!! My visit to this magnificent place was one of the highlights of my trip! Wanting to get an early start, as there was quite a bit of walking to do through this marvelously ancient city (ever see the first Indiana Jones movie?? It was filmed in Petra!), we excitedly arose bright and early at 6 A.M., ate a not so delicious breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and anxiously sat in the lobby waiting for our guide - who was supposed to show up at 7 A.M., but was fifteen minutes late. He was very apologetic as he walked us down the hill to the entrance, purchased our tickets, and handed us over to our tour guide, Hamad, for the morning. The tour included a horseback ride from the main entrance to the actual entrance of Petra. My companions chose to walk, but a diva should be carried like a queen on a throne. (besides, my lower back had a dull ache from the uncomfortable hotel mattress the night before, and I decided it would be best to sit as much as possible since I'd be doing quite a bit of walking for the duration of the tour). My poor horse was so bone thin I was fearful that he wouldn't be able to hold the weight of my body...yes...I've put on a few pounds since I've been in living in the gulf.. but he proved to be up to the task and managed to carry me without collapsing.


Riding along, like a bonafide cowgirl, I had the pleasure of being stopped by a rather good looking Jordanian cowboy. "Good morning madam!" he happily greeted me as he rode up next to me on his horse. "How are you? Where are you from?" He asked. "Good, thanks. I'm from the U.S." I replied. Secretly admiring his gorgeous chestnut brown eyes with hazel highlights. "Welcome to Jordan, and to Petra!!" was his enthusiastic reply. Observing that his horse was in much better condition than mine, he then offered to switch with me. Little did he know that it wasn't his horse that I was interested in... my mind began to drift off fantasizing...

But I digress.....I let him keep his horse, bid him a fond goodbye, and continued on my way. As it turns out, Hamad, our tour guide; in addition to being very knowledgeable, turned out to be an excellent photographer as well. As we meandered along the dusty pathways of this centuries old city carved from stone and rock, he had us stop and pose at various points of interest for a variety of photo shots which captured some of the stunning beauty and awesomeness of this incredible place.


A few of the caves were still inhabited by the Bedouin people. Some of which accosted tourists in the hopes of selling various trinkets and souvenirs; as well as camel and donkey rides for those of us who were too tired and exhausted to continue on by foot. "Like to rent a Ferrari today ladies!?" one cleverly creative young entrepreneur called out to us. "Do you have a Mercedes?" Sue asked. "No, madam. I only have Ferraris for rent today." he answered "Too bad. You're outta luck. I wanted a Mercedes." she replied. "Sorry. Madam." he called after us as we continued along on our journey.

To be continued....

3 comments:

Rhona said...

Cool! Your trip is coming along nicely. Love to read more.

Marian said...

Well travel diva you are quite a writer. I enjoyed reading about what we did. Keep it up. From one travelling diva to another.

Marian said...

I enjoyed reading about our travels. You are quite a writer from another travel diva, Marian