Sunday, October 7, 2007

Juggling Act


When I decided to embark upon the journey of pursuing an online Masters working with visually impaired children at Western Michigan University, in Kalamazoo, Michigan, I was filled with excitement, anticipation, and fear. I was excited because I was finally pursuing a career that had sparked my interest over eleven years ago when I volunteered to work in a VI classroom. Yet, I was fearful because it had been ten years since I'd completed my B.S. degree and I wasn't used to buckling down and studying anymore.

In spite of my fears, I decided to give it a go and although it's been a struggle balancing three online university courses and a fulltime teaching job, I do not regret my decision. This past summer, I had the opportunity to live on campus and surprised myself by successfully completing five classes!! Talk about intense!! Fortunately, I didn't have to work and could concentrate all my energy on my course work.

The fall semester, however, has been more of a challenge. It helps that the UAE is celebrating Ramadan - which lasts from September 13th to October 13th - and the school hours are from 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. I try to grade all of my students assignments as soon as they leave so that I can go home and hit the books.

True, my social life (what social life?!?!!) has been drastically affected, but I am planning on making up for that when I head off to Jordan this Thursday with my boss and another co-worker...HOORAY!!!!

Check out my upcoming travel blog to find out more details about this historic and holy land!!

No comments: