Monday, October 8, 2007

Traveling While Black

This is an expression that I came across on the Black Travels Forum which refers to the experiences of blacks - both positive and negative - who leave their comfort zone in order to travel abroad.

I have been traveling internationally for about ten years now, and living abroad for two. Over the years, I have received emails from African Americans who are interested in traveling overseas, and wanted me to share my experiences with them. Most of the questions pertained to race: Do you experience racial discrimination? Is is safe for a black female to travel abroad solo? How are blacks treated overseas? Will I encounter racism?

Sadly, since the U.S. is so race obsessed, many blacks feel that they will be the focus of unwanted attention based upon their skin color if they venture out to explore foreign lands. In all honesty, depending upon where you go, you very well may be the focus of unwanted - or perhaps wanted attention (depending upon each individual situation) because of the color of your skin. This isn't always a result of racism. Rather, it is often simply a sign of curiosity. If you visit a country in which the citizens have never seen or encountered blacks before, you better believe that you are going to be the center of attention! I have been photographed, hugged, kissed, received special treatment, and in some rare cases called a nigger, a black monkey, and spat upon (in the Czech Republic). Fortunately, I am happy to report that while living in both the the U.S., as well as living and traveling abroad, I have actually experienced very little racism, overall, in my lifetime.

The best advice that I can give to any person of color who is curious about the world and wants to travel internationally is - GO FOR IT!!!! Life is simply to darn short to be worried about whether or not you will encounter racism. In my experience, I have found that most people are decent and fair human beings. Therefore, I wouldn't let the small percentage of jerks out there hinder me from seeing the world. As the African American astronaut Mae Jemison once said, "I belong anywhere in the universe that I want to be."

Happy travels!!!

3 comments:

BlackGirl said...

Hello Travel-Diva!
Glad that you've decided to put your adventures online. I'm thinking of starting a blogroll of Black bloggers living abroad. Will add you to the list once that gets going.

Naschle!
Do you still remember your Czech? LOL. :-)

365 Outfits in 365 Days said...

Love your Blog! Please consider join and posting on the soon to launch BlackGirlTravel.com

Travel Diva said...

Hi!

I sure will! Thanks for the invite!