Sunday, October 14, 2007

Jordan: A Journey Back In Time... Part 1


Contrary to popular belief, not all middle eastern countries are oil rich nations. Jordan, which produces no oil, is in fact, very poor and many Jordanians live either barely above, or just below the poverty line. However, what Jordanians lack in material wealth is more than made up for in the kindness that they extend to foreigners who visit their country. I was extremely impressed with their warmth and hospitality.

My traveling companions and I spent the first two days in the capital city of Amman where we explored the downtown markets in search of exotic and authentic Jordanian souvenirs. Unlike the humid UAE climate, the weather in Jordan reminded me of the mild and temperate Mediterranean climate of Southern California. Thus making our walking tours quite pleasant and enjoyable.

Our guide, Mohammed, who was born in Palestine, but has both a Jordanian (he is a Palestinian refugee who fled to Jordan with his family when Israel became a nation in 1948) and American passport (he lived in the U.S for 25 years prior to retiring from a Civil Engineering job and moving back to Jordan to remarry and start a new family), drove us around the city to various historical spots.

Our first memorable stop was at the Roman ruins of Jerash. Walking through this
ancient city gave us the feeling of taking a journey back in time: my companion, Sue, envisioned herself charging along the ancient streets at full speed in a chariot, pulled by magnificent white horses, which raced around the historic plaza as a crowd of cheering onlookers watched from the stadium seats above; my other companion, Marian, envisioned herself strolling along the bustling and busy streets of the marketplace in search of delicious red wine; I, the sensuous diva that I am, envisioned myself being pampered and catered to by tall, dark, and handsome muscled bound Roman servants who attended to my every need....after all, my name does mean Queen... should I settle for anything less?

Traveling along the Kings Highway to our next memorable stop: Mt. Nebo , which is situated high on a cliff with sweeping views of the Jordan Valley, Dead Sea, and far in the distance, the Holy land of Israel/Palestine. This is the place from which Moses first viewed the promised land, and where he is reported to have died and been buried. A uniquely designed cross made of steel and intertwined like the branches of a bird's nest appeared to mark the place where Moses may have stood as he gazed down at the holy land.



We continued on to the Kerak castle
were we ate a scrumptious lunch and then ventured off to explore the old castle ruins. Feeling adventurous, I wandered off on my own to explore the hidden nooks, crannies, and dark empty rooms of what remained of this vastly enormous place. To my surprise, and before I knew what had happened, I became lost! Struggling to find my way back and rejoin my companions, I was startled to hear a deep voice directly above me ask, "Hello, are you alone?" Looking up, I was surprised to see a middle aged Bedouin man, dressed in traditional clothing standing on a rock above me. I hesitantly replied, " Well...sort of. I lost my friends and I am trying to find my way back to rejoin them." Smiling, he replied, "Follow me. I will show you the way." He reached out his hand, took mine, and helped me climb up to the small ledge where he was standing. Moments after we began walking, I realized that he was NOT taking me back the way that I had come. In fact, he was leading me deeper inside the ruins of the castle....I hesitated. "Please follow me." he beseeched. "I want to show you something." With a twinkle in his eyes he gently commanded. "Come. This way." And like a sheep being lead by a Shepard, "I obediently followed behind him."....

















4 comments:

Rhona said...

I just found your blog on traveling while black forum and was immediately intrigued. I pine to travel so much but right now, I have a few other things to worry about. Anywho, I hope to read about what happens next. I was kinda scared them realized you are obviously safe since you were able to write this post. lol.

sueuae said...

Very well written account of your adventures so far. I look forward to reading the ones to come!

Unknown said...

Regina is that you?


Great job on the blog!

Travel Diva said...

Hi Ana,

Yes, it is :-) Thanks!